I love baking homemade pizza and homemade pizza is Jake’s favorite.
This week, I found beets at the farmers market and eagerly bought a couple of bunches. We ate the leafy beet greens right away. If you haven’t tried them, cook them like you would any other green. I don’t blanche the tops because they’re tender and wilt quickly like spinach.
Kale is the green everyone talks about, but we enjoy beet greens more. I toss them into sautéed onion and garlic and briefly wilt them in soy sauce and honey or maple syrup for a sweet and salty treat.
For a special midweek treat, I prepared this beet and goat cheese flatbread. I baked my favorite, thin crust pizza dough recipe and spread it with goat cheese flavored with garlic scapes. Then, I sprinkled over diced beets and green onion. Beets and goat cheese is one of our favorite combinations and it brightened up our week.
Beet and Goat Cheese Flatbread
Makes two large but very thin flatbreads.
How To Prepare the Garlic Scape Goat Cheese
Combine a large 10 oz. package of plain goat cheese with enough milk or cream to make it spreadable. Add minced garlic scape. The flavor of the scape is strong so I used a handful. If you can’t find garlic scapes, you could add minced garlic, green onion, chives, dill, and/or parsley.
How To Cook the Beets
- Clean the beets and remove most of the stem.
- Place them in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer until they are tender enough to easily insert a knife into the center.
- Drain and cool until they’re cool enough to handle.
- Gently peel off the skin and remove the stem and tails.
- Slice or dice however you wish.
Preparing the Flat Bread:
Adapted from the recipe Lahmacun published by Saveur.
1 package of quick rise yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup warm water
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water, yeast and sugar. Hot water will kill the yeast. Allow to sit and bloom until it bubbles.
- Add the flour and salt to a large bowl. If preparing by hand, make a well in the center of the flour and add the yeast mixture and olive oil. Gradually stir until the dough forms a ball. If using a stand mixer, add the yeast-water mixture and oil to the flour on low and mix with a dough hook until the dough pulls away from the sides and forms a ball. If it’s too dry, slowly stream in a little water. If the dough is too soft and sticky, add a little flour. Knead or mix at a higher speed until the dough is smooth and elastic and not too sticky.
- Form dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl. Loosely cover and place in a warm location until it’s doubled in size.
- Punch down and divide in half.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough and place on an oiled baking sheet. Stretch the dough towards the edges.
- Allow the dough to rise again for about 1/2 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 400℉
- Lightly brush the dough with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until the dough is cooked through and golden brown on the bottom.
To Assemble the Flatbread
- Spread the warm pizza crust with the goat cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with diced beets, sliced green onion and any herbs you desire.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice and serve.