I have a lot of opinions about French Fries.
- Bad french fries are better than no french fries.
- Even bad fries are still good fries.
- Steak fries are trash.
- Crinkle cuts are one step above steak fries. Only exception: Saint Dinette (more below)
- Matchstick fries are mostly trash. If I wanted a tin of shoestring potatoes, I’d buy a tin of shoestring potatoes.
- Waffle fries are fun, but typically not good enough to deserve an up-charge. They should be served with sour cream dip that tastes like Top the Tater.
- Seasoned wedge fries are two steps above steak fries.
- Arby’s curly fries are their own thing. I like Arby’s curly fries.
- The best thing to dip your fries in is whatever you like to dip your fries in.
- Generic pre-frozen french fries can be elevated with a good deep fry job + proper seasoning.
- Burgers should always come with fries. If they don’t, the burgers should be cheap, or, the fries, really really good.
- Restaurants that charge an extra fee to swap potato chips for fries are the worst.
- Housemade fries prepared with care are the best.
Here are a few french fries I really like:
- Saint Dinette, St. Paul, MN (Pictured above): My friend Sara took me here to prove that crinkle cuts don’t have to be trash. She was right. $6 gets you a huge portion of homemade crinkle cuts fried perfectly and seasoned with flaky sea salt.
- Best French Fry stand at the Minnesota State Fair.
- Stewart’s, St Paul, MN: The Korean fries seasoned with red pepper here are one of my favorite treats. They’re homemade and perfectly crisp. Enjoy alternating between dipping them in the miso aoli and sweet and spicy gochujang sauce.
- McDonald’s or any place that serves McDonald’s-like fries (i.e. Matt’s Bar, Buffalo Wild Wings, Shish)
- Pomme Frites served with fancy sauces like they do at Barbette (with saffron aoli)and Meritage (bernaise).
Feel free to add your thoughts on French Fries below.